Top Tips For Social Media Strategies in 2017

Illustration By Jacob Gallegos

Illustration – by Jacob Gallegos

Nicolas Cole, named by Forbes as one of the top 25 marketing influencers to watch in 2017,  recently wrote a fantastic article on Inc. about 10 Social Media Predictions For 2017.

One of the main takeaways from the larger article for us is:

Do you know where most brands fail with content budget allocation? Of their content budget, they use 10% of it toward creating the content and 90% of it boosting the sub-par content they made with the other 10%. Brands, you need to flip that equation. Spend 90% of your dollars creating something incredibly amazing, and 10% boosting it or turning it into an ad. Something that is already great will market itself.

This year is going to be the year when big, established brands are really going to start feeling the heat. And it’s going to come from all the little competitors who have decided to take big risks with their video content.

The important thing about this is that if you spend 90% of your budget on creating video that will tug at heart strings or be so compelling and so well-done that it will be the catalyst in a sharing avalanche the 10% of your budget will go a long way, more than you think it will. Consumers aren’t stupid, and when you offer up sub-par video it will not get shared and it will not “go viral.”

Another key component talks about endorsements and influencer marketing:

Influencer marketing spends are going to go up. However, just like the above stat about social media effectiveness, I also believe that while more and more brands are going to hop on the influencer train, that doesn’t necessarily mean they will all succeed.

Brands, companies, start-ups, everyone is so quick to say, “Just tell everyone to buy it and they’ll buy it.”

Consumers are smart. Consumer behavior has changed. Consumers need to be won over–and they aren’t won over by an influencer taking a photo of your branded shaker cup with the caption, “Omg, couldn’t live without this! Link in bio!”

That’s dumb.

Really great influencer marketing is so subtle that you barely notice it–and yet you love it.

Subtle endorsements will be key in 2017 and beyond. Think of it as product placement that actually works!

And finally, a point that hits home for us big time:

The true value of amazing copywriting will reveal itself. Doesn’t matter if we’re talking about scripting video content, or the actual writing of high-quality blog content, or even the copy that goes into a long-winded Facebook post paired with a Call To Action.

Copywriting can move mice (and make them click).

You know the difference between bad copywriting and good copywriting. And the good stuff makes you want to buy things. Or enter your e-mail. Or sign up. Or whatever you’re being asked to do.

A lot of companies skimp of good copywriting. They think that “words” are enough.

Great copywriters are hard to come by, but they are worth the investment.

Instead of spending all of your money on third party boosts and part time social media managers, allocate your money on creating the content that will go out on those social media strategies and you will see a much larger return in the coming year. To that point, and here it is our shameless plug, our video department and our copywriters have won multiple awards from 2011 to 2016. Let us be your experts in content creation while you sit back and analyze the campaigns and track ROI.